Maintaining defensible space around each and every cabins is vitally important to fire safety for our own cabin, our neighbors, Laguna Mountain and the surrounding communities. Creating defensible space is a key component to effective fire prevention and fire fighting, if necessary.
US Forest Service, CalFire and San Diego County fire regulations all follow the 100′ defensible space specifications. The 100′ clearance area is divided into two zones:
ZONE 1 – “Lean, Clean and Green” for the first 30′ around the cabin.
Zone 1 must be cleared of flammable materials, pine needles, leaves, brush, tree branches and pine cones. Tree branches within 10′ of cabin chimneys and stove pipes must be trimmed. Firewood should be stacked at least 30′ away from structures.
- ZONE 2 – “Reduced Fuel Zone” for the area 30 to 100′ around the the cabin.
In Zone 2 native vegetation must be thinned 50%; lower tree branches must be trimmed up at least 5′ from the ground; all dead and dying vegetation must be removed.
MOUNT LAGUNA FIRE SAFE COUNCIL TRUCK
The Council also owns and maintains a Ford 250 truck with automatic transmission. It is available for loan to cabin owners. The truck is only for MLIA members and may only be used on Mount Laguna.
- Call John Wallar (949-422-9561), Jack Splinter (858) 472-4368 or Richard Willis (619) 990-1404 to reserve the truck and make arrangements for pickup.
- Sign the truck out and pick up the keys at the Laguna Mountain Lodge store.
- The truck is parked at Cabin #718 in Boiling Springs.
- Be sure to return the keys to the Lodge store when you are finished with the truck.
Please leave $10 in the glove compartment to help cover fuel and maintenance.
Log Splitter Available
The MLFSC also has a log splitter available for cabin owners’ use to take care of downed wood around their cabin. Contact John Wallar, Jack Splinter, or Richard Willis at the contact information listed above to make pickup arrangements.
Cabin owners are asked to pay a $20 use fee for the splitter
to help defray equipment maintenance costs.
MOUNT LAGUNA ~ A FIREWISE COMMUNITY