MOUNT LAGUNA FIRE SAFE COUNCIL ~ A FIREWISE Community
To work as a community with agency partners to reduce the threat of fire and promote a healthy forest on Mount Laguna.
Fire safety is an ever-present concern on the mountain. The award-winning Fire Safe Council was started by the MLIA. The Mount Laguna Fire Safe Council (MLFSC) stands on its own now as a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization. It is an all-volunteer organization with no paid staff. The Council works constantly to bring together all the communities and organizations on the mountain to disseminate fire safety information, techniques, upcoming events, and training.
Fire Safe Council projects include:
on-going education about fire safety and creating defensible space,
- maintaining a supply of brush cutting and weed whacking tools available for loan to cabin owners,
- keeping a Fire Safe owned truck on the mountain for loan to cabin owners to help haul fuel reduction brush and tree slash to Camp Ole,
- keeping cabin owners current regarding Forest Service fire regulations,
- helping cabin owners remove dead trees,
- making and placing cabin number markers at main driveway entrances to facilitate Fire and Emergency providers in case of an emergency.
Doug Reed (Cabin 703)
Mt. Laguna Fire Safe Council President